Monday, August 18, 2008

Sophie's Accident

My sweet baby girl Sophie Rae is the first one in our family to break a bone!! The cute little smile, blond hair, tiny little body and contagious giggle can fool anyone. She loves to try and keep up with her older brothers! She can climb anywhere, do front flips onto the beanbag running full speed off the stairs and recently decided she'd try and climb up a ladder. Well she fell about 6 feet from this ladder and scared me to death. Her poor little bones on her right leg down by her ankle broke, shifted and angulated her foot. She had a tib/fib fracture about one inch above her ankle and was screaming in pain. We immediately brought her to the doctor and they scheduled to put her under the next morning at 5 am to manually manipulate it back into place. The first night they sent her home with Lortab and this is my 3 year old a bit loopy on pain killers... We were all so worried and the rest of kids were at home with Aunt Sara'a fam and Lisa crying wondering if everything was okay. But when the pain meds kicked in we laughed so hard... Sophie could not stop talking, giggling and doing silly things to make everyone laugh! What a girl...

She didn't move from mom and dad's bed for the first 3 days and was non-weight bearing for the next three weeks. So many good friends, nursery leaders, bishopric members and family checked in on her and brought her lots of presents to entertain her while she was down. Which was greatly appreciated, she thought it was her birthday everyday! Grandma L. sent a care package in the mail with puzzles, books, movies, even new dresses and jewelry to match her purple cast. (Lets just say Marlee was thinking breaking her leg might not be all that bad! I convinced her otherwise...) :)






We were cooped up for days so as soon as Sophie was feeling a little better we had to take a girl's night out and go to LaVilla Salon to get Glitter Toes in Lehi. The girls were so excited!

Aunt Lisa was even able to come with, which made all three of us even happier!!


Sophie chose purple to match her cast, Marlee picked fuchsia, Lisa a coral pink color and I had help with a lovely bright blue. So fun!
She adapted well and scoots around everywhere, but hitches a ride any chance she gets with her older brothers and there friends. They all are so good to her.






8 comments:

STEPHANIE said...

I was so sad when I found out! I'm glad she is doing better! She is so cute!

Tanya said...

sophie...you are so dang cute!

Neysa said...

That sucks so bad. My nephew did the exact same thing about 4 years ago and broke his arm climbing up a high dive ladder at the swimming pool and broke his arm. It was scary and I cried so hard because it looked out of place. He broke his other arm about a year afer that jumping off a couch. I hope Sophie is doing okay. I am very sorry. That made me laugh when you said all of the pain meds were making you laugh. It's funny what pain meds could do to you. She looks great and is very cute.

lisa said...

She seems to be doing better every time I see her. Not too much longer! You've had a lot of patience with that girl of yours - hauling her around everywhere.

Cori Simmons said...

I have a hard time believing that she's the 1st one to break a bone. Your boys are so rambunxious(sp?), as boys should be. Looks like you made a good time out of something bad - that's so cute.

Palinista! said...

Poor Sophie, we were so worried about her too. Zane and Zoey are always cracking up at the way she gets around and does everything. She is just way too adventurous, I have a feeling that won't be her last accident . . .

Bladers said...

Even though she has a cast on and can't move around very well, she still has the biggest smile on her face. I love it!! She is such a doll. We miss you guys!

Colett (*.*) said...

Isabelle still blesses her in every prayer, so cute! Get better soon Sophie!